Friday 3 August 2018

Buying Hay for Rabbits - How & Where in Malaysia

I’m a Johorian. I live in JB, to be specific. Taking care of a rabbit is not an easy task, and it can be really frustrating with the limited resources in Malaysia. Still, without going bankrupt or crazy, I managed to buy hay for my rabbits for the past 7 years.

The following is a list of the various brands of hay I’ve bought before in order of overall pricing, as well as how and where I bought them.

The focus is on Timothy hay, as this is the main type of hay that rabbits should be provided with at all times to ensure a healthy digestive system.


1. Oxbow hay
Oxbow is a popular brand among small animal owners. Oxbow sells a variety of hay besides Timothy, such as Orchard Grass and Oat Hay. Check out their website to see the rest of the hay types offered.


Oxbow Western Timothy Hay 

(Smallest size: 15oz)


The good stuff:
  • Variety of high-fibre grass hay sold.
  • Large package sizes (eg: 40oz, 90oz) are available.
The bad:
  • It can be quite costly in the long term. Oxbow hay may not be that expensive in the US, but it sure is expensive after being imported here.
  • Lately, the quality seems to be falling. I bought a 15oz package and 40oz package and they were like 50% normal-length hay, 50% sneeze-inducing hay powder.
How and where:
  • Sold at Global Pets pet store. It’s easy to find a branch near your local area in Johor, but they usually only stock the 15oz package in their store.
  • Online order through Beh & Yo Rabbitry website. This is how I purchase the large 40oz and 90z packages.
  • I bought a couple of 40oz packages a few years back from ABC Pet Shop, but I’m not sure if they still sell Oxbow hay now.

2. Beh & Yo Gold Class Timothy Hay
Gold Class Timothy hay is a much cheaper compared to Oxbow hay. The quality’s alright, and as an additional note, the cardboard box that comes with it makes a great storage container at home.

Beh & Yo Gold Class Show Timothy Hay 9oz
(The extra 50% has been there for years though.)

The good: 
  • Cheaper than Oxbow, which is good.
  • Quality relatively consistent.
How and where:
  • Sold at Global Pets.
  • Online order through Beh & Yo Rabbitry.

3. Nature’s 1
In recent years, I noticed that Global Pets started stocking a new brand of hay: Nature’s 1. It’s another alternative that’s economically viable. It’s cheaper than both the brands above. I find that its quality has been quite consistent too.

Nature’s 1 All-Natural Timothy Hay 17oz


The good stuff: 
  • One of the cheapest per ounce, especially when compared to Oxbow.
  • Quality not compromised by price.
The bad: 
  • Only one package size available: 17oz.
  • Nature’s 1 only offers Timothy and Alfalfa hay.
How and where: 
  • Often in stock at Global Pets.

4. Cosy Pet Hay-Pro
Cosy Pet is the cheapest brand in this list, and the quality seemed alright. But still … read on.

Cosy Pet Hay-Pro Timothy Hay

The good: 
  • Cheapest per ounce! Yay!
  • Relatively good quality (as far as I’m able to observe).
  • Sold in 15oz and 35oz sizes.
The bad:
  • I haven’t found this brand sold in any pet store. 
  • The yumminess of the hay … seems to fluctuate a lot. For instance, I could be purchasing 3 packages in January, and in March when packages from a new order arrives, my rabbit often becomes less enthusiastic to eat the hay. I obviously can’t detect the dramatic difference in the hay’s taste from one package to another, but my rabbit certainly can. Feedback is best collected from the actual consumer!
How and where:
  • Online order through Beh & Yo Rabbitry.

I usually purchase a mixture of brands, switching between Beh & Yo Gold Class, Nature’s 1 and Hay-Pro. Having alternatives and “Plan B”s  when it comes to purchasing hay really helped over the years. Knowing that my rabbits can safely eat the hay provided is a heavenly feeling – a big rabbit-owner responsibility fulfilled!

No comments:

Post a Comment