Tuesday 16 September 2014

Recommended Vets in Malaysia

In Malaysia, it's easy to find vets experienced in dogs and cats. When it comes to rabbits, however ... well, speaking as a four-year-bunny-owner: it's rather hard.

Anyhow, here are two vets I've found so far in Malaysia and would recommend:

1. Dr Chan Jing Ting - Global Pets (Mutiara Mas Branch)
25, Jalan Mutiara 1/2, 
Taman Mutiara Mas,
81300 Skudai, Johor.

Tel: 012-716 6177
  • Why?
    Dr Chan is the vet I bring my bunnies to. She's the best in my area. I once called to another clinic, even that vet recommended Dr Chan. Dr Chan is also a member of the Association of Exotic Mammal Veterinarians (AEMV).

2. Dr Jenny Huong Ling - Hands N Paws Veterinary Clinic
C-17g, Jalan PJU 1/45
Aman Suria Damansara
47301 Petaling Jaya, Selangor

Tel: 03-7804 6539
  • Why?
    Dr Jenny is a member of the AEMV too. I've been searching on the Internet and she's the other vet that popped up along with Dr Chan. Dr Jenny is often praised, so I think she must be good. 

    Note: An appointment is said to be required if you want to see Dr Jenny, so better call prior your visit!

Technically, Dr Chan and Dr Jenny aren't the only vets that tend to rabbits. If you called a clinic and asked:

"Hello, 请问你们这里有看兔子的吗?" (Hello, does your vet tend to rabbits?)
“兔子?有啊。” (Rabbits? Yes.)

Unfortunately, the truth is that many vets don't know much about rabbits. A rabbit's anatomy is different from that of dogs and cats, hence they require different treatment and medication. Bringing your companion to such an irresponsible and over-confident vet could cost the life of him/her. 

Now personally, I strongly suggest that you DO NOT take your bunny to the following clinics:

1. Wondercare Vet Clinic (Klinik Haiwan Wondercare)
15 & 17, Jalan Rosmerah 2/8, Taman Johor Jaya, Johor Bahru, 81100, Johor.
  • Why not?
    When I wasn't much experienced, I brought Dutchie to this vet clinic. It was very noisy and stuffy inside. Also, in my opinion, I don't even think the so-called vet is really a vet! Then, there's her assistance who joked around and not took the situation seriously. A complete disappointment. We went home with nothing.

2. Han Veterinary Surgery
50, Jalan Molek 2/2, Taman Molek, 81100 Johor Bahru, Johor.
  • Why not?
    The vet is only experienced in dogs and cats, I would say. He isn't of much help to rabbits. Also, his words are rather discouraging. I will never visit this vet again.

3. Koh Animal Clinic
62, Jalan Kemunting, Taman Kebun Teh, 80250 Johor Bahru, Johor.
  • Why not?
    I admit that I've never seen this vet before. However, one phone call was enough to let me blacklist this clinic. The environment there sounded chaotic even through the phone and the receptionist was extremely, extremely rude and unhelpful. I don't ever want to try my luck by visiting a vet who employed such an obvious I-don't-care-about-your-animals person.

Well, that's the list. If you are also a passionate bunny owner in Malaysia, feel free to comment below the vet you would like to recommend. :)

As a reminder: DO NOT choose a vet just because he/she is nearest to your home. We had to drive for 45 minutes to arrive at the vet's. Several fellow bunny owners I know drive even further. You brought your bunny home, and therefore he/she is your responsibility. Pets are more than companions, they are family.

Finding a rabbit vet but not living in Malaysia?
Recommended Vets in Singapore by the House Rabbit Society Singapore
Veterinary Listing (US/Canada/Australia/Hong Kong/Italy) by the House Rabbit Society

8 comments:

  1. Hello there... I live about 45 minutes to 1 hr away from the Global Pets Mutiara Mas branch. I am afraid that if there is an emergency, my beloved rabbits may not survive the trip all the way there. Would you happen to know if there are any other rabbit savvy vets around the Johor Bahru area, just in case?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, I'm sorry but I really do not know any other rabbit vets... The Mutiara Mas branch is about an hour away from my home, too. It's really hard to find a trustable vet in Malaysia. I'm so sorry that I cannot be of more help... I do my best to keep my rabbits in good health and observe them everyday to avoid having to face an emergency.
      Still, there was once when I visited Global Pets Mount Austin, because it was already late and there will certainly be a severe traffic congestion at the Pasir Gudang highway. The Mount Austin vet sees dogs and cats but when I brought my rabbit there, she would call Dr Chan to confirm medications, etc. In my purely, personal opinion, with no alternatives left, an honest vet that is able to contact the rabbit one is the best possible choice...
      Note: I do not know whether or not the vet I visited is still working at the Mount Austin branch today. And also in the future, if you come to know another good, rabbit vet in Johor Bahru, can you contact me by leaving a reply here? Thank you. :)

      Delete
    2. Dr Chan is a good and trustable vet for rabbit but sadly that today I found out that she was resigned from global pets mutiara mas one month plus already. Very headache for me now as my rabbit will go to dr Chan for normal check u every month. Hope you can suggest or recommend other trustable vets experienced well in rabbit in Jb area for me. Thanks.

      Delete
  2. Hello Denise I am SO HAPPY to have found another rabbit parent who loves and cares so much for her little ones! It is absolutely true - almost impossible to find a rabbit savvy vet here. I would very much like to keep in touch with you if you'd like the same. Please email me at caryn.kyana@gmail.com? We can continue there.

    I don't know if the universe was trying to hint at me because I suddenly decided to research on vets last week (just in case of an emergency). And just today, my girl looks like she is coming down with Scabies. I'm bringing her to Mutiara Mas tmrw at your recommendation =) So nonetheless, I must thank you for your valuable advice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've recently had a chance to care for rabbits in Johor Bahru and realised just how little medical or general care there are out there for this species! I was very careful about not to perform anything to the rabbit without an expert guide/advise or confidence. One of the rabbit I cared for has matting fur since it brought in from the pet shop by the management. I've called tons of pet groomers in JB and finally found one (Pet Alpha Tmn Desa Cemerlang) newly opened shop after being recommended by another groomer. It's far but worth it. The groomer is so patient and gentle. I sat throughout the session, watching them closely. That's 3 hours plus of patience and the rabbit is properly groomed and matt-free. Groomer spent a lot of time calming down the rabbit gently. Very assuring that she does knows how fragile this species is. After the session, the said rabbit was hopping around the shop with no sign of stress. Still cheeky.

    Wonder Care Vet - do not bring any species to this clinic. The staffs and enviroment is hostile and horrible. The old vets here cannot even differentiate obvious (dog) breeds during one emergency house call referred to me by a friend at midnight. The vet even refused to tell me the name of the injection he has administered to help stop my dog from diarrhoea. Sure enough, my dog didn't stop his diarrhoea till morning. This time, with traces of blood. The moment my regular vet (Koh Animal Clinic) opens, I called him in. Diarrhoea stops after house visit and my dog shows obvious signs of recovery. In another recent case with the rabbit, the management insisted I bring the rabbit (with fur mites) to this vet. When the attending vet is that old dude again! I managed to stop him from administering the mite treatment when he couldn't sure if the rabbit is pregnant, etc. Answering my answers in so much uncertainties. Luckily the said management personnel is with me. She agreed to stops using this clinic for their rabbits. Phew. By the way, few days later, the said rabbit gave birth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so very much for your detailed comment, Brigette. Yes, Wondercare is horrible (ironic name, honestly). And I cannot agree more on "high ego" when it comes to Dr Han. He's one of those doctors who are only out for their patient's money.
      I've read your comment on Koh Animal Clinic as well. My post must have angered you somehow, then! (Just kidding.) Oh, so it's the staff who are the terrible ones ... Good to hear that Dr Koh is actually a recommended vet!

      Delete
  4. Koh Animal Clinic - one of the oldest and most experienced vet in town; Dr Koh, himself. It has proper equipments for some complex surgery here as well. I've seen cheetah and jaguar cubs being brought here for Dr Koh as well. He has the experiences and license. Other vet here is less experience. So, insist for Dr Koh if you don't mind the wait. The front desk staffs are horrible since day 1. Loud talker, iddling chats aplenty, etc. I'm here only for Dr Koh since he has rescued many of my dogs and cats from near-death or mishandled by other vets nearby.

    Dr Han - he has a lot of ego and very little skills. He will blames the animals instead of his incompetency when times are trying. E.g., my cat has struvite, first timer, brought in after he is down from not urinating almost 24 hours. Dr Han tried to pokes the cathether into my cat's penis so many times, it bleeds. Saying my cat has unusually small penis! Cat is warded in and on drip. I immediately went to Dr Koh with my cat's test result and begged him to take over the case. He finally agreed. I rushed back to discharged my cat from Dr Han, along with the drip he's hooked up with. My cat is already semi-unconscious from the toxin built-up. The moment we arrived at Dr Koh's, I noticed he frowned when he saw the drip given and immediately asked for another type of drip. One attempt to poke the cathether in was all Dr Koh needed. Manual releasing of urine from the blockage. Quite a lot! Once done, my cat woken immediately and he is safe to return home! Ony proper pills and new diet, of course. After almost a decade, the management asked me to contact Dr Han for the rabbit care. When I called, a receptionist answered and said, "OK, bring the rabbit in". I wanted to bring the rabbit in for their first general check-up and skin problem checks. 5 minutes later, Dr Han's wife called. Asking me several questions about the rabbit's condition then finally said, "Actually, the doctor is allergy to rabbit, so sorry." Ego again. He coudn't performs diagnosis on rabbit with issue, he said he has allergy - right after asking me what's wrong with the rabbit.

    I've recently returned and also heard of Dr Chan. I will most likely bring my cats for their annual check-up there instead to see. Good to know there is more than one competent vet in JB after so many decades.

    ReplyDelete
  5. im absolutely regret send one of my rabbit to veteriner family clinic in bandar baru uda..send one of my rabbit to for fur mites treatment and grooming.suddenly when im come back to the clinic to fetch her back, the doctor inform one of her staff accidentally let the rabbit hop after hearing loud cat meow from the table and hit cage below the table causing her paralysed.now my rabbit is in paralysed for 3 weeks already and the doctor hv no choice and ask to bring home.. im so dissapointed on this clinic coz dont hv any responsibilities on what happen to the rabbit

    ReplyDelete